This Ratatouille Pasta with Butternut Pumpkin Sauce was a hit in our house. Everyone ate every last little bite on their plates!
2 tbs of olive oil
1 medium red onion, chopped finely
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 large red capsicum, diced into 1cm pieces
2 medium zucchini, diced into 1cm pieces
1 1/2 tbs of tomato paste
4 roma tomatoes, diced into 1cm pieces
2 tbs of chopped oregano leaves
1 packet of pasta shells (I used the large ones)
1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
For the butternut sauce:
1 1/2 tbs of olive oil
1 medium brown onion
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1kg butternut pumpkin, chopped coarsley
3 cups of vegetable stock
3/4 cups sour cream
1. Heat oil in frying pan. Cook onion and garlic until softened. Add capsicum and zucchini; cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Stir in paste and tomato; simmer, covered for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally. Stir in oregano and season to taste.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta in saucepan of boiling salted water.
Once cooked, drain and since under cold water.
3. Preheat oven to 200ºC
4. Make butternut pumpkin sauce
5. Pour pumpkin sauce into a deep 30cm x 40cm large ovenproof dish. Spoon ratatouille mixture onto pasta shells and sprinkle with parmesan.
6. Bake pasta, covered for 25 minutes. Remove cover, bake for a further 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Sprinkle with extra oregano leaves.
Butternut pumpkin sauce:
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring for 5 minutes. Add pumpkin; cook, stirring for a further 5 minutes. Add stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 25 minuted or until pumpkin is tender. Add sour cream. Using a hand held stick blender, blend pumpkin mixture until smooth; season to taste.
There was enough left over to freeze for work lunches or for another nights dinner. I love being organised! Here’s how ours turned out!
Happy cooking 🙂